In the early days, Calamba was just a part of Tabuco, now known as Cabuyao. On August 28, 1742, Calamba became a pueblo, separating it from Cabuyao. Progress set in and since then development started to flood in continuously. Calamba became a component city on April 21, 2001 by virtue of Republic Act 9024. According to a legend, the word â€śCalambaâ€ť was taken from the phrase â€śkalan-bangaâ€ť. Kalan-banga was an earthen jar being carried by a young woman whom a Guardia Civil stopped to ask for the name of the place. Mistakenly thinking that she was being asked what she was carrying, she answered â€śkalan-bangaâ€ť. Later on, Kalambanga was shortened to Calamba.
Geographic Location and Topography
Calamba is bounded in the east by Laguna de Bay, in the north by Cabuyao, in the south by Los BaĂ±os and in the west by Sto. Tomas and Tanauan in Batangas. Only 54 kilometers away from Metro Manila, the city is a haven for industries, hence the influx of migrants. Considered as the heart of CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) due to the numerous number of companies housed in its area, Calamba is the premiere industrial hub outside of Metro Manila.
Legal basis of creation / date of approval
Governatorial Decree/August 28, 1742
Became a Component City
By virtue of Republic Act 9024 signed into law by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on March 5, 2001 and strengthened by a plebiscite held on April 21, 2001.
Land Uses (in hectares)
Last Updated (Wednesday, 02 January 2013 09:07)